The mom-of-three suffered from severe hypertension, had gone into shock, and passed away
In a horrifying turn of events, a baby girl is likely to have died of suffocation after her mother collapsed on top of her. The mother of three, Mariana Ojeda, was with her infant daughter and three-year-old son in their home in Corrientes, Argentina, at the time of the tragic incident. Mariana's husband Gabriel was not at home at the time and had been calling repeatedly to try and reach the family. Finally, his son Ignacio answered saying that Mariana was "still sleeping." It is believed that the 30-year-old died while breastfeeding her 2-month-old infant and rolled on top of her, reported the Daily Star.
Gabriel suspected something was wrong when he was unable to reach his wife. According to the news site Telecinco, the distressed father immediately went home only to find his wife and two-month-old daughter dead in bed. Mariana suffered from severe hypertension and is suspected to have gone into shock. Hypertension which is also known as high blood pressure can lead to a stroke or heart attack which can end up being fatal. Preliminary investigation showed that there were no signs of violence. For now, the mother and baby girl's autopsy report is still being processed.
Sadly, this is not a one-off case. A woman in Arizona and her baby suffered a similar fate. The mother fell on her 4-month-old son, suffocating him in the process, according to police. The double tragedy involved 38-year-old Larinique Meadows and her son, 4-month-old Denari Meadows. Investigators found that Meadows had been researching chest pains on her phone, but there was no record of her trying to call 911. It is believed that she collapsed even before she could realize what was happening or could call for help. The 4-month-old’s father, who works the night shift, was asleep upstairs at the time of the horrifying incident. The father found their bodies, six hours after last seeing them alive.
"It’s a very, very tragic incident in which we believe that she had some sort of heart condition, heart episode, and then passed away and fell on top of Denari," said Detective Greg Bacon with Tempe Police. "This looks like it’s a health-related issue. Father seems to be very hard-working, trying to provide for his family, works nights, ran some errands that morning for the family, specifically for the baby. So, it’s just a very tragic situation, and we mourn for them," Bacon said, according to Q13 Fox. Police say there was no evidence of foul play in the incident.
In another terrifying case, a baby was smothered to death by a teddy bear. Dexy Leigh Walsh, from Dundee, Scotland, had pushed cuddly toys down the side of her 18-month-old daughter's bed to stop her from falling down the gaps. But in a terrifying and unexpected turn, one of the teddies which was "massive" fell on top of her as she slept. The 23-year-old mother found her 18-month-old daughter Connie Rose lifeless. The baby died during her sleep, suffocating under the large teddy bear.
The grieving mother told the BBC Scotland, "I got up to get my oldest ready for school, and I went over to get Connie and she was under a big teddy. I couldn't wake her up and shouted at my partner. I put Connie on the floor and started CPR. Murray took over and he tried. My sister was on the phone with the ambulance people, explaining what to do. We were following instructions while the ambulance was on the way. Murray's mum arrived and took over and then the ambulance came. They asked everybody to leave the room and tried for two minutes as well then came to the bedroom door. I can't really remember what she said, I just heard 'I'm sorry.' I just ran back into the bedroom and grabbed her and cuddled her. They let me cozy her for a good half an hour and I kept hugging her, still hoping she would open her eyes, or grab me or something." The grieving mom warned other parents about the dangers of the stuffed toys on a Facebook page to raise awareness.