Newborn Died In Social Services' Care | Birth Mom Says He Was 'Thriving' At Check-Ups

Newborn Died In Social Services' Care | Birth Mom Says He Was 'Thriving' At Check-Ups

'They are supposed to be protecting my kids, but they just proved that they can't,' the boy's father said.

Authorities in Athens County, Ohio, are investigating the death of a newborn baby boy who died while in the care of county Children Services. According to WKBN-TV, Logan Dollison was born at home on December 19 to Lindsey Householder and William Dollison. Both mother and baby were taken to O'Bleness Hospital in Athens soon after and during their stay, Logan was placed with a foster family. The child died on January 7 at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus while still under the care of Athens County Children Services. "They are supposed to be protecting my kids, but they just proved that they can't," said Dollison. "They let my kid die, and they don't have no explanation, no nothing for it."


Meanwhile, Householder revealed that she didn't know she was pregnant until she felt the baby was coming while she was in the bathroom. "We went to the hospital. We got there by squad. Everything was fine with Logan," the 30-year-old said. "They ran all kinds of tests, made sure everything was fine with both of us, and the next day CPS came in and took him." Householder said she has lots of questions about what happened to her son, who she said was "thriving" during supervised visits and doctor checkups.


According to Logan's mother, the infant went to the doctor for a weight check on January 5 and was fine. Householder added that she wasn't notified about Logan's checkup even though the parents had asked to be present at all the doctor's visits. They were supposed to have a visit at 10 a.m. the next day, she said, but were told it had to be canceled because Logan hadn't been eating and that his caregiver was taking him to the doctor. "We asked if we could go to the doctor's appointment," Householder said, but she was informed that they had to wait for the caseworker's approval.


When the boy's parents were finally told that Logan was being transferred to intensive care at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, they were under a snow emergency and couldn't drive out of Glouster. However, Householder was texting with the foster mother, who was with Logan in Columbus, and at 11:50 p.m. on January 6, received a text that the baby’s condition had worsened. "At midnight, she finally texted me back and said that his heart had stopped and they couldn't get it back," she said.


According to Householder, neither she nor Dollison was allowed to identify Logan's body until two weeks later. "I texted (the caseworker) because I figured we'd be going up to Columbus," she said, adding that the infant's body was released to a medical examiner before his parents could see him. "We did not get to identify Logan. We didn't get to see him or nothing until the day before his funeral," Householder said. The cause of Logan's death is yet to be released. Meanwhile, Otis Crockron—the director of Athens County Children Services—said his agency would not have notified a parent of their child's death via text message.


"We take a situation where there's a child fatality seriously," he said. "We would reach out directly to the mother and we would never notify via text, but I cannot speak for the foster parent or what the mother shared... That should never happen, to learn about it over text. We would spend a lot of time to make sure that the mother had what she needed. I can tell you that we've been open and available to the mother and would do anything we could to help in this situation." However, Dollison is angry about the way Children Services cared for his child and claims he was not included in communications about Logan, even though he's the father.


"If it was me," the 32-year-old said. "I'd be behind bars right now until I could prove my innocence. I'd be behind bars. It wouldn't matter what it is... if he was in our custody. That's how it would have been. But for them, they still get to walk the street." According to NBC4, the Athens County Sheriff's Office has opened an investigation into the newborn's death. No arrests have been made in the case, and no suspects have been publicly named as of now. "This is an open investigation," Captain Bryan Cooper of the sheriff's office told reporters on Wednesday. "It's a thorough investigation. All resources that we can will be put forward to determine the death of Logan."

Recommended for you